Tuesday, May 20, 2003

David C. Stolinsky, M.D. wonders if they're Journalists or Propagandists?

"Some time ago, another leading newspaper claimed that a gun-control bill had been weakened and would not "take grenade launchers off the street."
I wrote the author, noting that both grenades and launchers were banned by the Federal Firearms Act of 1938. Possessing even the parts to construct one would subject a person to heavy penalties. In addition, they are virtually never used in crimes.
I added that I would send a $100 check to his favorite charity if he could show me where to buy a grenade launcher legally.
The author wrote back, claiming he was quoting an aide to Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. He felt that since the quote was accurate, the facts need not be. That is, if the quote furthered the anti-gun agenda of the paper, he was satisfied to print it without stating that it was factually false. I kept my $100."

No comments: