Saturday, February 15, 2003

Another fine example of unbiased journalism & superior drama skills. This time the focus is on the .500S&W magnum.


"A hunting weapon? That's a joke," said Luis Tolley, director of state legislation for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "What we have here is a weapon that's designed to appeal to people who just want to make a bigger hole in whatever they're shooting at and, hopefully, they're not living next door to me."

So, a .50 projectile pushing 1600 fps isn't a good choice for hunting? hmmm.


"Violence Policy Centre executive director Josh Sugarmann said: 'This gun is not being made for hunters in Africa. It's being made for bored white gun owners in America. Why are they putting so much fire power into people's hands?"

The VPC seems racist as well as ignorant. Tell me please, is there any reason why a black man would be genetically predispositioned to dislike a .500S&W magnum? Is he implying that since it's impractical to use in a liquor store hold up then black people wouldn't be interested in it? I am jesting, as this is the kind of thing the anti gunners let fly whenever race comes up. But the more I consider it, the more I think that some people may arrive at exactly that conclusion based upon what he said.

Personally I don't care for calibers that big, although it'd probably be fun to shoot. I am not so blind as to not see that the demonization of one type of firearm will lead to the demonization of them all. So as a show of support tomorrow I think I'll go out & buy a .500S&W Magnum. The cartridge, not the gun. I'd love to show $1000 of support by buying a gun I'm not particularly infatuated with, but alas, I am but a poor blogger.

No comments: